This high intensity program is delivered by AHPRA Registered Nurses.
This program is a co-requisite with manage diabetes. This program can not be completed without first completing manage diabetes and HLTHPS006 Assist clients with medication.
For support staff to be able to assist with injections, the organisation must have a registered nurse available. QHA recommends that in addition to this program being completed, that your organisation’s RN completes an observation of the support staff providing injections to clients before rostering staff for injection supports.
- Confirm client details and need for injection
- Follow infection control procedures
- Follow safe injecting procedures using pumps and pens
- Monitor for any adverse reactions
- Maintain records
- Understand pens and pumps
- Different injection methods and equipment
- Site location and rotation
- Safe needle disposal
- Signs of adverse reactions and action required including common symptoms of overdose and withdrawal
- Common risks of injecting
- Quality check protocols when calculating and delivering a variable dose
Variable dose context: The health plan allows for support workers to calculate and draw up the required dose under clinical supervision. The plan must identify the health practitioner responsible for overseeing the injecting process and describe the checking procedure to be followed so that the worker confirms calculations and dose measurement prior to administering injection.
This program is benchmarked against the NDIS skill descriptors and practice standards. Fun and engaging, this program ensures staff members complete the program with the knowledge and foundational skills to support clients according to the NDIS skill descriptors and practice standards.
Our programs are useful for audit, registration, and re-registration purposes. Certificate of completion provided by the Director of Clinical Education – Registered Nurse.
Online theory followed by practical workshops at our Gold Coast Laboratory. Our Clinical Nurse Educators are also able to travel to Brisbane, Logan, Ipswich, Sunshine Coast, Redlands, Cairns, Townsville, and anywhere in Queensland.
These programs are usually delivered to groups. Contact us today for a quote.